Monday, December 03, 2007

Dec. 2 - A Special Day


This is Joe, Jon and Jeremy James...Yesterday was Joe's 26th birthday! I can hardly believe that he is that old. That really makes me old! He's my baby! Joe and Tim had Mexican food so Joe was pretty content.

Sadly, I didn't get to spend much of the day with Joe. My Uncle Jimmie, my daddy's brother, died and yesterday was his funeral in Mississippi, so I was gone most of the day. Uncle Jimmie was a wonderful man. He and Aunt Etheleen always welcomed us into their home and showed great hospitality to everyone. His oldest son, Gordon, was one of my favorite cousins when I was growing up. Gordon was one year older than me and we played together all the time, but the year Joe(y) was born, Gordon was hit by a drunk driver the same week Joe was born and I didn't get to go to his funeral because I'd just had Joe so I'm sure that yesterday was harder for Aunt Etheleen because of loosing her oldest son about this same time 26 years ago. There's only 3 of my dad's siblings left...there were 8 of them in the beginning. That's one thing I hate about getting old! But we'll all get there one day! Uncle Jimmie left a wonderful legacy of love for God, love for family, love for his fellow man, integrity, hospitality,and the one special thing I'll always remember is going to their house around Christmas time and they would always have those little bottles of coke to drink from. Every year when I put up my Christmas tree and hang those Hallmark Santas holding those little bottles of coke, I think if Uncle Jimmie and Aunt Etheleen! Here's to fond memories and love everlasting!

2 comments:

dragon134 said...

I'm going to be home next spring, going to work and make some money, then go to graduate school in the fall - that's really neat and encouraging that you still know your Harding buddies - I'm going to miss mine!

Jeff's Photos said...

I can't believe he is 26. I loved babysitting him when he was a kid. I am sorry to hear about your uncle.