Monday, August 21, 2006

A Fun Family Weekend?

I got together will all my siblings and their spouses and some of the children this weekend at my mom's house. Ordinarily, this would have been a very fun weekend; however, we spent the weekend packing up and sorting out and throwing away and garage selling to get Mama and Mutt ready to move to Corinth. They only have a one bedroom apartment available right now so we had to decide what would go in storage and what would go to the apartment. Poor Mama with her Alzheimers wasn't sure what was going on, only that we were moving her somewhere and she kept going around and picking stuff up that we had put out for sale and putting it back in the cabinets and Mutt didn't sell very much at the yard sale because everything was too special for him to sell very cheaply so we ended up at the end of the day putting most of it out on the street and most of it was gone the next morning.

Saturday night, we went to visitation for Aunt Dorothy Skelton. She was a very special sweet lady who had a heart attack on Thursday night. She had been sick for some time and her husband and children all said that it was time for her to go. I saw so many people at the funeral home that I had not seen in forever and of course since I walked in with Mama and Diana, they all knew me and I had no clue who most of them were until I studied their faces for a while. Then I could figure most of them out. I was really proud of my Joe (even though he got really ticked off at me calling him "my Joe"). He went with us to the funeral home and to the funeral on Sunday and was very cordial to everyone. Uncle Ray and Aunt Dorothy have a son named
Donnie Joe who named his son Donnie Joe and they call him "Joey"...Does that sound like someone else you know who named their kid Joe after his dad and was called Joey? Donnie's Joey is only 15 so he still tolerates being called Joey.

At 7:00 Sunday morning, we were back at Mama's packing again until time to get ready for church and then we went to church and they had a lunch for Mama and Mutt and Diana to say goodbye. Several of our cousins from Mama's side came from out of town to be with us. It was great to see all of them, but sad that it had to be so short! They were having a "turn-around service" as they called it and were going to be finished for the day. The preacher joked and said he hoped they wouldn't get labeled "liberal" for doing that...But we all left and went to the funeral.

Then Tim and Joe and I flew home. We landed just as the bottom fell out and we unloaded the plane in the rain. It stormed all night here last night and is still overcast today. I told Laura that she should have brought John down to Mississippi this weekend...He would have really gotten initiated into the family!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi auntammie, im sorry i couldnt be there to help u. You'll be glad to know that Student Impact went very well. Im so proud of everyone for putting there junk aside to help!! However its now tuesday and not a soul has called to tell me that aunt dorothy passed away. I know it doesnt do any good to be upset but its so frustrating..... I hope uncle ray is doing ok. Also im so glad aunt diana and maw and papa mutt are finnally out of the congergation. I so hope this move isnt the final straw that pushes maw's alheimers over the edge. That greatly concerns me.
Love Wil

Jenn said...

Happy Anniversary!! Hope that Tim takes you out somewhere simply wonderful for your 32nd!!
Much love,
Jenn

john/laura said...

i tried to call to say happy anniversary.
i think we have done as many 9-hour a day drives as we are going to do for a while, even though it does sound like fun to go to huntsville with every one.
you can come up here whenever you would like.

Rick and Leslie said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!
I'm glad you made it back home safely. We need to get together soon( the 4 of us), it's been too long. I'm ready for a night of beating the guys at cards. =-) (Anyway we can, hee, hee! )

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm behind catching up. I know that must have all been stressful...change is hard. Hope you had a good anniversary, of course we always remember it even though we aren't good at letting you know that!!! Love you both