Monday, August 07, 2006

I Don't Want To Get Old

I spent last night and this morning taking care of my sweet little mother. She has Alzeheimer's and she is so much like a child. I don't want to get old like that. She had a tooth ache and Diana brought her up here yesterday for her to spend the night and for me to take her to see her Alzeheimer's doctor this morning. Tim went ahead and pulled the tooth last night because it was so decayed and she was in pain. Several years ago she read some article that said if you drink vinegar that it will help you lose weight so she started drinking it everyday and it killed her teeth...ate the enamel off and made it all every soft so it has been a challenge to help her keep her teeth at all. (Translation: Even if you want to loose weight really bad...DO NOT DRINK VINEGAR...IT WILL RUIN YOUR TEETH!!!) But she couldn't get to sleep last night because she was hurting where the tooth had been pulled. We didn't want to give her too much pain medicine becuase we didn't want her to be hung over today, but to get her to sleep, she was hung over today and I had to cancel her appointment with Dr. Burns and reschedule it for next week. I got her up and dressed this morning and everytime she got still, she fell asleep again so I didn't figure her trip to the doctor would be very productive. I have to take my turn going down there sometime soon to help pack up the house because they have sold it and will be moving to Corinth in a few weeks so I'll go down next week and spend a day packing and bring her back on Tuesday for her appointment with Dr. Burns and then Tamara Lynn who has a dental appointment with her Uncle Tim on Tuesday afternoon will take her home. It makes me know that I want to make the most of every day that I have now and not put off having fun and being with my friends because who knows when Alzeheimer's is going to strike...Even now one of our friends that we went to Harding with is fighting with it....so live each day to the fullest! It's time for me to stop obssessing over this silly MFT Board and just study and do the best I can and give my children (all 3 of them) over to God and stop obssessing over their salvation and do my best to live so that Jesus shines through me....Leanne sent me this wonderful website this morning( http://www.rbc.org/ourDailyBread/devotional.aspx?s=ourDailyBread&id=49162). You should go there and look! It is most inspirational and after I left Mama with Bill and Papa Mutt, I went around to the Christian book store in the factory outlet mall....I could have gone crazy in there, but I didn't go too crazy...but I did enjoy looking in there....I bought a book about the Sister Chicks in Italy! Can't wait to read that! Only I think they are in Venice and my sister chicks and I are going to be much further south...but it will still be great! Thank you, Lord, for sister chicks and family and friends!

Oh, one more thing! I was so glad to see Buddy Jones at church yesterday...I just about got over my Buddy Jones hug deprivation....but it will take a few more times of him being there to cure it all...He has this silly 3 second rule...that you can't hug for longer than 3 seconds....It's gonna take a lot of 3 second hugs to make up for all the months I haven't seen him!

And Pam Cox Womack was at Sycamore View yesterday. It was so good to see her! I think she is just waht Harding Academy needs (She's the new president.) and I can't wait to spend more time with her. I hope she'll land at Sycamore View, but then, of course, I don't think there's any place better!

5 comments:

Rushton said...

"Mom" is Mom Baker of Wyldewood, who baked sugar cookies (with government butter) for me to take to the new gym to her grandson, Little Scottie. I didn't know he was 6'4" and soon to become my husband. Mrs. Rushton was my mother-in-law. You and or Tim POSSIBLY could remember my brother, Bob Nelson, from Harding, '69-71 or from Memphis State, 72-Terry Smith years. Sister Molly was Wyldewood nurse in the early 60's for a year or so.
I so understand what you mean about every day to the fullest. My mother died very unexpectedly in May exactly the way she wanted to, talking and laughing literally one second and completely gone the next. I miss her, but wouldn't wish her back for a moment because I know she's lovin her some Jesus time!

BW said...

I think that the phrase "the long good-bye" is the best way I have ever heard to describe how a family has to deal with Alzheimer's disease. You and your brothers and your sister have really worked together to make sure that your sweet Mama can enjoy what she can of life. My prayer for my Daddy and for every other person with Alzheimer's is that they not have to live a life without dignity.
Turning it over to the Lord is so hard...and sometimes I am so impatient.
Which Buddy Jones?
I am so ready for our Sister Chicks to be in Italy! I think that I will work on our own unique name though...hmmmmm... I will have to think on this some!

Unknown said...

after my summer with brain injury patients, its also made me realize that your memory or functions can be snatched from you at anytime and its not just your body turning against you. its some drunk driver not paying attention or some thug wanting money. better to say everything and do everything you want when you can....just take the risk.

Anonymous said...

Wish you well!

john/laura said...

i don't want you to get old, either... but when you get old you are going to have beckie to take care of you when you go back to live at harding.