Monday, November 06, 2006

Almost my birthday

It is 10 days until my birthday and as I think about approaching my 55th year, I remember my many friends and family and fond memeories that have made these years so wonderful. I think of all the times in college that I got thrown into the lilly pool, which will soon become the Kenneth Davis Jr. Memorial Pool, on my birthday and ice formed on my pants before I could get back to the dorm. I think of all the times we had fun playing football at turtle field. I think of eating in Pattie Cobb and the Heritage (and those kids think they have it bad now-what a joke!) I think of fun trips to Cooter(and riding the ferry) and Steele and Pensacola and Tallahassee and Corsicanna and even Indianola and Dallas to the Cotton Bowl. I think of the wonderful group who came to be in my wedding and sing at my wedding whom people in Indianola talked about for years afterwards because it was the first time some of them had ever heard beautiful accapella music. I think about Tim's being in dental school and the Gillespies and Allens and Tuckers who took turns having us over to eat or taking us out so we wouldn't starve and teaching Jeff Montgomery when he was a little kid and now he's got 5 of his own and Alan who has only 2 (I think) and Kelly who has 4! I think about the birth of my children and all the wonderful friends here in Memphis at Sycamore View who loved us and took care of us. I think of the trying times with our children as well as the triumphs and how so many were and still are here to support and pray and cheer us on. I thank God for you all everyday! Some of these friends and family members are there through thick and thin...Some are younger...some are older...some pick you up...some put you down...some were Joe Cool in college and now they are Mr. Annoynomus who can only say "Wish you well." Just wait till I see you again Mr. Joe Cool...See if I stand up for you in front of all those ladies at the office and tell them how all the girls chased you in college and panted after your every move except the four of us who were smart enough to be your best friends - the sweet suite! Of course, you know I will because in spite of your little game, I love you anyway and always will!

13 comments:

Artist-Tim said...

Tammie, you are the wind beneath my wings, and without you my life would be empty because you hold me accountable for value, and honor, and all things lovely including our wonderful merciful savior.
Yes, I do already have your birthday gift.

Anonymous said...

That old Lily pool sure looks different, but I'm sure there will still be many thrown in...there have been many great times and we're glad to have been part of your ride. Happy Birthday and let the good times roll!!
Love you, call anytime!

DCT said...

Once again, you have phrased it so nicely. How could we be 55? (Of course you and Beckie were so much older than me.) There have been good and bad times. Fortunately, most of us were facing the bad at different times so the others were able to hold us up. God has been so good to us. Keep us in your prayers at the present, as you are in ours!

Rushton said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my new buddy who's been my "friend of my heart" for years because of the way she loves those whom I love. Have a fabulous, chocolate covered day!

BW said...

How can we be this old? Some days I still feel like I should be racing across the front campus to get in line for lunch first! My life without Tammie would be so much duller. My friend for all times and all occasions! I can't wait to see you and talk for an entire week!

Unknown said...

when do you head over to italy?
happy birthday!!

Unknown said...

Happy almost birthday! Mine isn't far behind, so we can celebrate together...

...but I'm not going to be 55!

Jenn said...

Happy "almost" birthday, Tammie!! I don't think that there is any way that ya'll could be over 21, you just have way TOO much fun for being "old" (which, by the way, you are NOT!) It's just a state of mind and ya'll are still in your 20's that way, except that all your kids are in their 20's!!
Have a WONDERFUL time in Italy for your birthday, I can't wait to read (or hear) about all your fun experiences!!

Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

"fifty-five". that rhymes with "barely alive". just kidding miss tammie, we love you and we hope you have a great day!

Joyeux Anniversaire!

Rushton said...

Tammie, go to:
www.popularfront.com/snowdays for snowflakes. Have a great time!

Rick and Leslie said...

Happy Birthday "Birthday Buddie"!!!
I won't put what I usually tell people, dear friend, I'm going to be nice this year. =-) You know I love you!!
What a wonderful friend you have been since we moved to Memphis back in the BC days
I am excited that you are getting to go to Italy for Thanksgiving. If you get board in Italy... think about going to Albertville, France. =-)
Love ya!!!
Leslie <><

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Thanks for my wonderful smart wool socks, Tim! I just hope they get back into MY drawer after they get washed! This has been a great birthday weekend and my birthday is not even here yet!
And Reagan, we're leaving on Nov. 21.
Happy Birthday to you, too Leslie! Hope your day is great tomorrow.