Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years Ago Today

Yes, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing...Cristen Roberts (then Godley) was picking me up at Bud Davis Cadallic on the way to class...she was taking counseling classes then at Harding Grad and when I got in her car, she was listening to K-Love and she said, "Listen to this - Do you think this is real or that it is just one of those end of the world kind of commercials that they play sometimes?" And they were talking about the planes crashing into the World Trade Center. When we got to school, all the TV's were on and everyone was crowded around. It was very difficult to concentrate on class that morning. Then when we got home, we found out that all planes were grounded and the Sycamore view building was full of people who needed places to stay and food to eat so we all went into action to try to take care of the people. There were even some from foreign countries that Laura when up there to try to communicate with. It was wild. It was incredible. It was a day that I thought I'd never see happen in my lifetime. It was a day that changed our world forever. My heart goes out to and my prayers go up for all those who lost loved ones that day and those who have lost loved ones since because of the war. I have no idea what the answer to all of this is. I only know that I have no control over it and I can only pray that God's will be done when it's all said and done. I do not intend to watch any of the movies or documentaries about 9/11. I know how they all end and they don't have happy endings...you know me....I only like to watch things with happy endings...there's enough sorrow in real life to pay to watch things that make me sad!

On a happy note...Emily Godley got engaged and seems very happy. Beckie has written two fun posts from Italy. And I am enjoying my counseling practice very much! Tim and I are supposed to meet some Harding recruiters and juniors and seniors and their parents form the Memphis Area at Bahama Breeze tonight for a gathering. That should be fun if my 6:00 session doesn't go too long over time. That's my greatest shortcoming....I'm not very good at stopping at an hour if the client wants to keep going and I don't have another scheduled immediately after!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh, we would LOVE to have you come!! Of course I have to put your name in at the meeting on Sunday, but who wouldn't want the famous Tammie Hacker to come to their ladies day? By the way, it is a short speaking gig...one hour TOPS and that is it, nothing fancy, we are a little church, no big frills....I still don't know the date, but if you really would be interested, I'll call you on Sunday night after my meeting (and our small groups)....