Thursday, October 19, 2006

Food for thought

I have been having this interesting discussion with John and Laura on their blog (hackerwright.blogspot.com). This morning in my quiet time I ran across this thought and I decided I needed to share it with everyone instead of just them. Makes you think...

"To believe in something not yet proved and to underwrite it with our lives; it is the only way we can leave the future open." Lillian Smith

There once was a woman who experienced a dream about jumping off a cliff. As she jumped with fear, she was suddenly aware of a wonderful floating feeling. She opened her eyes and found that her skirt had become her parachute. She was safely floating comfortably.

"leaving the future open" may be one of the most important commitments we make with our lives. Believing in something not yet proved may just be believing in ourselves.

We never know what will make good parachutes. When one is leaving the future open, it helps to know that there are parachutes not of our making in our lives.

For Christians, I believe that the parachute is our Lord Jesus Christ and the Scripture that was inspired by the Hand of God and the future that awaits us is a home in heaven in His Glorious Presence. However, this is something that I must choose to believe. For some scholars, they can work it out, or at least part of it with with history and archeology, and such, but for me...it's mostly just faith. I choose to believe. That way, I have the best possible life here on this earth with wonderful Christian friends who love and support me like a family...I can call on any one of them to help me when I am in need or when I am celebrating and when I die, heaven is waiting for me. If I'm wrong about all of this BUT I REALLY DON'T THINK I AM WRONG, and there is no life after this one, then I've had a great life on this earth anyway!

Thank you, God, for all of my Christian friends (you know who you are...I couldn't begin to name you all!) and for giving me your Holy Word as a road map of how to have the best possible life here on this earth and to tell me how to get to heaven!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

We love you and are VERY thankful for you, too!!

DCT said...

Well put! We have made the choices we have made because of FAITH and the results have been just what God promised. We are there to help pull and push each other closer and closer to God, especially when things are rough and our faith becomes shakey. (You'll never know what it meant to see you walking into Keri's Dad's funeral, to just mention one instance.)

Artist-Tim said...

We aren't here to see through each other, we are here to see each other through.

Anonymous said...

Dios te bendiga!

Tammie's Thoughts said...

ok, now the anonymous person is speaking in tongues....who are you?